These questions are meant to help you talk about the books we’re reading in the Naked Editing Book Club.
- What qualities does the protagonist (and other characters) possess and are these qualities convincingly portrayed?
- What are the sources of conflict?
- What techniques does the author use to draw you in to the story (e.g., why do you care about these characters?)
- What role do supporting characters play?
- How is emotion conveyed? Does author say, “Joe felt sad?” (Feel free to quote a few sentences to illustrate.)
- What complications get in the way of character goals?
- How does the story end? What is the emotional payoff for the reader?
- Are there implausible story events or unbelievable story conflicts?
- Does the story maintain good pacing or do some parts feel rushed or drawn-out?
- Are there points that felt like a slog? If so, can you identify some reasons why you felt it was hard to keep going?