Start at any time!
Class fee: $59
This six-lesson, self-paced online class is designed for newer freelance editors who edit or hope to edit indie novelists or who want to work with fiction publishers. While there is no instructor feedback, the class offers six different assignments with informative answer keys so students can track their progress.
Most information about copyediting/line editing is designed with nonfiction in mind, but fiction and nonfiction are edited very differently. You can’t just apply the goals and methods of nonfiction copyediting to fiction and expect to succeed.
If you would like to sharpen your fiction editing skills, this is the class for you. It is not structural or developmental editing, although the skills learned here can be applied to developmental editing (for example, you will learn how to edit head-hopping at the sentence level).
While the course materials assume a basic familiarity with grammar and punctuation (which will not be covered in the class), grammar and punctuation issues specific to fiction, such as when to default to an author’s punctuation idiosyncrasies, will be discussed.
Note that course materials cover US standards/American English only.
- what line editing is and its relationship to copyediting and developmental editing, including the line editor/copy editor’s role in development
- understanding the client’s expectations and communicating your editorial intentions
- the basics of copyediting, including when to adhere to the style guide and when not to
- writing effective queries
- how to create style sheets
- when grammatical correctness matters and when it does not
- reference resources, including styles guides, usage guides, and more
- permissions and legal considerations
- sentence structure errors, nominalizations, weak verbs, reductions, passive language
- shifts (such as POV switching or incorrectly handled POV)
- incorrectly handled psychic distance (between reader and POV character)
- the uses of implied action
- how to trim over-exposition and solve problems in description
- cardinal rules that editors must help writers of fiction master (rule #1: avoid confusing the reader).
For the full instructor biography, click here.
The complete six-lesson class costs $59. Enroll at any time. After you purchase the class, you’ll be sent a link so you can download the course materials.
For more information about other classes and coaching packages, check out the Adventures & Excursions page. To learn about new classes and other information for editors, sign up for a (free!) tour-the-resort level membership here and add your email address to the Club Ed Resort Newsletter list here.
Self-Paced CE/LE for Fiction class – $59.00