Self-paced classes are meant to be taken when you have time. There is no instructor feedback, but exercises and answer keys help you understand how to put the principles into practice.
- If you’ve never seen a developmental edit, start with Naked Editing.
- Now, take the Essentials of Developmental Editing series (DE 1 – 6), which starts with Foundations of Storytelling for Developmental Editors. You can buy all six classes in one package.
- Next, dig deeper into problem areas you’ll encounter on many manuscripts:
- Essentials of Conflict
- Editing for Point-of-View and Perspective
- Then, take DE Detective for more about how sentence-level problems impact story development.
- Then, if you’re planning to edit romance, try Editing the Romance. If you’re planning to edit mysteries and related genres, try Editing Mystery/Thriller/Suspense.
- Explore additional services you can offer, such as:
- Finish with Developmental Editing Practicum, in which you do a complete developmental editing on a novel manuscript and receive personal feedback on your work.
- For help getting your freelance business started, register for Starting Your Editing Business.
See all self-paced classes here. Self-paced class materials can be accessed for eighteen months after purchase.
To ask questions about any of the self-paced materials, you can sign up for the montly Club Ed Conversations chat. To enroll, please send an email to ResortDirector@ClubEdFreelancers.com
To round out your knowledge and get instructor feedback, consider taking a few instructor-led classes.