Editorial Toolkit: Book Doctoring and Ghostwriting (Jul 5 – Aug 1, 2023)
How to perform book doctoring and ghostwriting. This four-week, instructor-led class shows you the basics of book doctoring, coauthoring, and ghostwriting, which go beyond editing to actually writing and/or rewriting an author’s work. Though much of the available work is in nonfiction, there are opportunities for fiction editors/writers as well.
We’ll talk about:
- how book doctoring, coauthoring, and ghostwriting are similar – and how they’re different
- why developmental editors are in a good position to do this work
- the importance of the client interview
- how to understand an author’s voice and reflect it in the manuscript
- avoiding common pitfalls, including legal concerns
- writing effective proposals and outlines
- understanding how media tie-ins work
- identifying audience needs and expectations
- getting paid fairly for your work – including kill fees and paid samples
- finding clients
- and more!