Editorial Toolkit: Coaching Writers (May 3 – May 30, 2023)
$250. How to coach writers. This is a four-week, instructor-led course designed to help you get started in offering coaching as a service to writers. Coaching can be a lucrative addition to your menu of services and can be a great way to help writers who are not ready for a developmental edit, who are stuck at the concept stage, who need to re-conceptualize their novels but don’t know how, who want someone to oversee a revision step-by-step, or who have other mentoring needs not easily contained within a traditional edit.
- how coaching differs from developmental editing
- developing the skills you need to offer coaching as a service
- building on your current expertise to offer coaching services
- marketing your services
- understanding client needs
- choosing the method of coaching
- defining and setting expectations (parameters and limits)
- setting fees and getting paid
- figuring out scheduling and delivery logistics
- creating small-group experiences that lead to coaching relationships
- and more!
Each week, you’ll have a homework assignment intended to help you be ready to launch as soon as possible. The instructor will give personal feedback and support throughout the class, and students can share questions, thoughts, and experiences with each other on the forums.