How to Edit Query Letters, Blurbs, Pitches, and More – For Nonfiction
$79. How to edit query letters, blurbs, pitches, and more. For nonfiction. This four-lesson, self-paced class is meant for editors who would like to offer additional services to authors beyond manuscript editing. In this class, you’ll learn how to edit:
- query letters for authors planning to follow the traditional publishing path
- elevator pitches for authors planning to attend conference pitch sessions or who just want to be able to talk about their book to potential readers
- blurbs—those brief book descriptions that go on the back of the book or in the online book listing/catalog
- pull quotes—quotes from the book that authors use to help promote the work on social media (why do they always pick terrible quotes?)
- author bios, both brief bylines for use in marketing/promotion and longer “about the author” bios that go in a press kit or on a website
The course materials discuss the purpose of each of these items, what those reading/reviewing them are looking for, and how editors can help authors fine-tune the author’s work to make it as compelling as possible. Exercises with answer keys are included to help you practice the techniques described.